Sunday, August 1, 2010

Inglourious Basterds

Inglourious Basterds, 2009
Inglourious Basterds (Two-Disc Special Edition)

Inglourious Basterds (2-Disc Special Edition) [Blu-ray]

I didn't see this in theaters when it came out, and I'm not sure why. I think it's just one of those movies that I knew I would see eventually. It seems like that's a general theme with Tarantino movies though. I know it's one of a few movies on the list that Wil among other friends have been trying to get to watch for a while now, so they're all excited that I'll finally be watching the movie.

After having watched the movie:
(Possible spoilers below)

I don't really know how it came to be, but I managed to land myself a 3 day weekend and I have to say it has felt great to have the 3 days out of the store. I've been able to take a day or two and have a little fun with my friends and finish this week worth of movies early. Although it seems that whenever I get a little bit ahead of myself in the 365 Movie Challenge something comes up and I end up struggling to make the week. The latest problem to slow my down and throw me of course, isn't really a problem. It was unexpectedly hired to work on another short film for two days during this next week. This weekend I've focused on watching Inglourious Basterds, Wall E, and the remaining movies on the list.

I spent Friday night watching Inglourious Basterds with my friend, Wil. He warned me before watching the movie though that it was going to be a long movie; but that it was the kind of movie where you become so captivated by what your seeing that you never notice the time passing. Wil was right. It was a great movie, but as we were watching the movie there were a few interruptions along the way: I had a phone call from home and was asked to move my car, which actually broke up the pacing and tension in the movie.

Again this movie was very Tarantino with a small director cameo, women's bare feet, title cards throughout the movie, and an absurd amount of dialogue. My favorite thing about the movie though, was the kind of characters that Tarantino continues to create. One of the things that Wil and I talked about after watching the movie specifically were the female characters from Inglourious Basterds, and some of our other favorite, strong female characters from movies and TV.

Final thoughts: I really liked this movie, I just hope the majority of the people who watch the movie realize it's not historically accurate. As great as it was, Adolf Hitler didn't die in a theater which was set a blaze by a French Jewish woman, but instead was found dead in a bunker after the war.

* I forgot to mention it earlier, but one of my favorite lines in the movie:

Lieutenant Aldo: "That’s German, ain’t it? Y’all like climbing mountains, dontcha?"
Bridget Von Hammersmark: "I don’t. I like smoking, drinking, and ordering in fine restaurants. But I see your point."


OFFICIAL COUNT 46 DOWN 319 TO GO

Next up: Wall E

No comments: