Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Mask

The Mask, 1994
The Mask (New Line Platinum Series)

The Mask (New Line Platinum Series)

Jim Carrey has always been hit or miss with me, and I feel like this is going to be a big miss. Typically when it's a miss it's because his comedy is just too over the top for me. Let's give it a shot.

After having watched the movie:
(Possible spoilers below)

Ugh, this was certainly a miss, but I was with the movie until about the forty-five minute mark. After that point the movie just became too much and I lost interest completely. I didn't care about how Jim Carrey was going to save Cameron Diaz, and I didn't care if the 'bad guy' was caught at the end of the movie either.

I think I was able to hang in there with the movie until the forty-five minute mark though because the movies wasn't really all that bad. I liked the idea that some pushover would find a mask that could enable him to unleash his alter ego. Even though I realize his alter ego were these cartoon characters, I was still turned off by the over acting. The Mask is very much one of those movies that even though I didn't like it, I can understand that there's an audience who does like the movie.

Final thoughts: Without a doubt, I think the movie was made for Jim Carrey. It would easily have been a completely different movie if someone else had been cast as Stanley Ipkiss, which says something about Jim Carrey as an actor because the role required someone who could be so over the top and cartoon like.

OFFICIAL COUNT 65 DOWN 300 TO GO

No comments: