Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Alien v. Predator > Predator

Alien v. Predator, 2007
AVP - Alien Vs. Predator (Widescreen Edition)

AVP - Alien Vs. Predator (Widescreen Edition)

If this movie is truly awful then I guess I'm excited to kind of get it out of the way. I don't think I've ever heard a single person who has a good thing to say about this movie, the response I get from everyone about the movie is the same, "Ew why don't you just watch Aliens instead?" The truth is I have always stood by the decision to keep Alien v. Predator on the list as part of the 365 Movie Challenge because I feel like it's an important part of the entire challenge.

After having watched the movie:
(Possible spoilers below)

Here's the thing, I measure everything: height, weight, funny, sad, distance, and hungry by comparing it to myself. Someone is tall if they are taller than I am and someone skinny if I feel like they're smaller than me. Honestly, if we could change the measurement of a foot from 12 inches to the actual size of my foot that would make things so much easier (for me). Of course I realize how ridiculous this is and I'm really just joking because I would never honestly expect anyone to change the measuring system again. However it's really the only way I know how to write about Alien v. Predator, because I've not heard a single positive thing about the movie I've built it up in my mind to be worse than An American Haunting.

I think the worst movie I've ever seen has been An American Haunting. The movie, has a bogus plot and the commentary is nothing but the directors personal rant about the studio system, problems they faced during production and the trouble with finding distribution. Here's the thing, finding distribution in my mind isn't too hard to do when you have a semi-decent product. Similar to many directors though this guy's ego is incredibly inflated and he just doesn't seem to understand why Oscars aren't offered to him as like candy on Halloween. Maybe watching the commentary was a bad idea, because now I just associate this jerk with the movie.

So when Alien v. Predator wasn't as awful as I had expected it to be, I was a little surprised. I think maybe because I had set it up in my mind to be such an awful movie, that it wasn't able to live up to how bad An American Haunting was. I mean sure there were certainly some pretty bogus things going on in the movie, but Alien v. Predator was also a lot easier for me to watch than Predator. Now I know how that might come as a big shocker to so many people, but apparently it's because I never really understood Predator to begin with.

Again because I think because I had such low expectations for the movie to begin with it didn't really bother me that someone would dream up a plot where Alien was trapped in an underground pyramid and held prisoner there by Predator for the salvation of man kind. Okay, so when I put it like that it does sound like a horrible movie, but somehow I just accepted it without any questions asked and went with it.

The biggest problem I had with the entire movie was Alexa Woods, played by Sanaa Lathan, and her ability to find herself in a no win situation inside this pyramid chasing after and killing Alien only to have an awkward 'are they going to kiss' moment at the end with Predator. This is where that whole, "You didn't really understand Predator" comes into play though, because the awkward 'are they going to kiss moment' comes out of the respect Predator has for Alexa Woods after she kills off everything in the pyramid that becomes an immediate danger to herself? It also bothered me a little that Predator then scratched and made her face bleed as a sign of gratitude and respect. Sorry, but I would be just as happy with a hand shake or pat on the back.

I don't think we should only watch the best movies ever made, and I think the majority of people would agree that there are more bad movies than good movies that have been made. Which is why I still wanted this to be apart of the 365 Movie Challenge. I don't really think I'm being stubborn about this one. I think that by keeping the movie on the list as part of the 365 Movie Challenge gave it the kind of diversity that it needed. In other words, it made the 365 Movie Challenge more credible because it wasn't just the AFI Top 100.

Final thoughts: This movie isn't great, it was nominated for a Razzie. It didn't win, but it was nominated and I think that says something for the movie. Overall it wasn't the worst movie I've ever seen, but it isn't something I think I would ever watch again. I think maybe the most the movie has to offer is a lot of different homages to both Alien and Predator throughout the movie.

OFFICIAL COUNT 67 DOWN 298 TO GO

Next up: Trekkies

No comments: