Friday, August 13, 2010

Sophie's Choice

Sophie's Choice, 1982
Sophie's Choice

Sophie's Choice

I knew from watching various clip shows, what Sophie's Choice was going to be. I knew the idea behind the movie, but I was still really excited to watch the movie for the first time.

After having watched the movie:
(Possible spoilers below)

I knew the movie would be a bit tragic when the time came for Sophie to chose between which of her two children were going to get to live and which would be sent to a crematorium once they arrived in Auschwitz. I just never really expected for Sophie to be such a complicated character. I think that's one of the things that makes Meryl Streep such an amazing actor is her ability to become the characters she plays. There wasn't a single moment while watching the movie where I felt as though I was watching Meryl Streep act.

I liked the way the story was told through Nathan's perspective and the way Sophie's story had been told throughout the movie. I never anticipated Sophie coming to America and building her life around so many versions of what she really experienced during the war and while in Auschwitz. The thought had never occurred to me that a survivor would have needed to have created another world or version of their life to move beyond the tragedies they suffered while in concentration camps.

One of the great features on the DVD that I received from Netflix was a documentary as well as cast interviews which I always find very interesting. Meryl Streep has said in different interviews that she insisted on shooting on location at Auschwitz and her final scene, the one that everyone remembers was shot with one take. Meryl Streep reportedly said it was too difficult to shoot a second time, and she watched the scene for the first time when she appeared on Oprah.

Final thoughts: I think this is an important movie for everyone to watch. I think it's equally important that we stop discussing in full details the choice that Sophie is forced to make. I think it cheapens the movie to know before watching it the decision that has to be made.

OFFICIAL COUNT 57 DOWN 308 TO GO

Next up: Predator

No comments: