Monday, August 9, 2010

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, 1984
Star Trek III - The Search for Spock (Two-Disc Special Collector's Edition)

Star Trek III - The Search for Spock (Two-Disc Special Collector's Edition)

Having not known that Spock had been killed off at the end of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, I'm a little surprised that a third movie could be titled The Search for Spock. Sorry Trekkies, but unless this is a prequel I don't think we're going to be able to find him. He died. Yeah there was that whole sending him off into the Genesis created planet, but once you kill a character off you can't continue to bring him back repeatedly. I don't really know what I'm in store for, but I can't stop now. I'm half way through the mini Star Trek challenge and my reward, watching Trekkies, is just two weeks away.

After having watched the movie:
(Possible spoilers below)

To date my favorite Star Trek movie remains to be the second movie mostly because I just feel like there was more to the story than in the first and third movies. I really felt as though The Search for Spock was a bit far fetched. Even while watching the movie I wondered several times if the story line for the Star Trek movies had always been intended to be made as a trilogy. I found out after watching the movie, when I decided to turn on a listen to the commentary that the movies were never really intended to be a trilogy. Although by the time it was decided to make a second movie, I am sure it was decided to turn the story into a trilogy.

I also thought (when I first watched the movie) the story in The Wrath of Khan seemed like a bit of a glorified send off for Leonard Nimoy, who was rumored to have grown tired of playing Spock. In actuallity though, when approached about doing a second movie Leonard Nimoy had to convince producers that he didn't want to kill Spock off but was more interested in directing the second movie.

Digging a bit more into the movie though, I had no idea they would kill of Kirk's son. Having only ever seen one episode of the TV series I had expected David to stay around later than he did. I also really hated the "dog" Kruge kept with him on the ship, it just had robot written all over it. It was my friend Wil who first introduced  me to the idea that when you're writing and creating a world you get to make the rules up as you go along. Once you commit to the rules though you have to strictly follow them, because once you break them people will start questioning the authenticity of the world you've created. I feel like bringing the "dog" into the movie broke the facade of this world that had been so carefully created and was the equivalent of plastic in an organic world.

Final thoughts: I still think the second movie made, which is the first part of the trilogy, is the better of the Star Trek movies that I've seen to date. The movie doesn't really end and leaves you feeling the same way we all felt when we watched The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers for the first time. We know there's more to come and we've been given a little more information than in the first movie; although we're going to have to wait another year to finally see how our heros get out the mess their in.

OFFICIAL COUNT 54 DOWN 311 TO GO

Next up: I've had to substitute Predator for Jaws mostly because of the long wait on Netflix. I also don't think it hurt, because this week was Shark Week.

No comments: