Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Slumdog Millionaire

Slumdog Millionaire, 2008
Slumdog Millionaire

Slumdog Millionaire

I remember when the movie came out a few years ago, and I remember not seeing it in theaters despite so many rave reviews that the movie received. I don't why I just couldn't seem to get on board with the movie at the time.

After having watched the movie:
(Possible spoilers below)

Wow. I completely understand why everyone went crazy for this movie when it first came out after watching it for the first time. The movie is incredible in almost every aspect of filmmaking. The story is new spin on rags to riches, it's shot beautifully, the acting was so incredible and when everything comes together so well in a movie, I forgot about everything else going on around me. I was never pulled away from the movie or felt as though I needed to stop the movie and resume it later after unloading the dishwasher. Which is something that I've done in the past, even though the same dishes had been in the dishwasher for more than two days. With as many distractions that we have throughout our lives now: internet, text messaging, cells phones, etc I was amazed that I didn't feel like I needed to finish packing things for the move I had this past Saturday.

I can't say that the movie made me want to immediately call my travel agent and book a flight to India, but it did provide another perspective of what life is like in other countries. I also have a greater respect for director, Danny Boyle who had the money earned by the three lead children in the movie set aside in a trust that will be available to them after they finish school and turn 16 years old. It was also arranged that they will have the transportation available every day to get back and forth from school until they are 16 years old. This Danny Boyle, makes you a class act sir.

Final thoughts: This was an incredible movie and I'm glad that I was finally able to sit down and watch the movie, because it was worth every watching every minute of. It was a great escape from reality and a 'feel good' story about a boy who struggled all of his life and was finally able to make it to the top. It's no wonder the movie did so well given the struggle a lot of people are facing right now given the current state of our economy.

OFFICIAL COUNT 68 DOWN 297 TO GO

Next up: Trekkies

No comments: