Friday, August 6, 2010

High Noon

High Noon, 1952
High Noon (Two-Disc Ultimate Collector's Edition)

High Noon (Two-Disc Ultimate Collector's Edition)

I think I've seen a total of three or four true American Westerns so I'm pretty excited about checking this one out. High Noon will be the first of a several Westerns that I'm going to be watching as part of the 365 Movie Challenge. I kind of anticipate either really loving or hating the genera as a whole. One of the things that I have tried to keep consistent throughout the challenge though is just trying to go into and watching the movies with an open mind. A few months ago I went to a free screening of The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, which is also a Western and really liked that movie, so I'm hoping to really like this one as well.

After having watched the movie:
(Possible spoilers below)

I really feel like I'm learning a lot about myself as I'm trying new things with the 365 Movie Challenge. I didn't realize it and I think it's because I had just always imagined Westerns would be boring, but I really liked High Noon. I thought the pacing of the movie was great, and a little ironic that I watched this movie after watching Run Lola Run last week. I guess it's ironic because the majority of the plot in High Noon revolves around the Marshal and small towns attempt to prepare for the arrival of Frank Miller in about an hours time, and  Run Lola Run revolves around Lola's attempt to find $100,000 in twenty minutes.

Like many of the traditional Westerns I had expected a big show down at noon in the main street of the town which would appear to be deserted and I wasn't really too disappointed by the turn of events. I much rather preferred the approach this movie took as it became a shoot out that took place throughout the town. When given the choice to stay or to run I can't really say that I was surprised that the Marshal would stay in town rather than spend his whole life running from Frank Miller.

I was a little angry that none of the people in town would support him against Frank Miller and the three other boys he had with him. The Marshal worked and put his own life on the line for five years for their safety and in his hour of need the towns people turn their backs on him. That doesn't seem right out of the people in the town to me to just turn their backs, so I thought it was rather fitting when before leaving town the badge is just dropped to the ground with little regard as to the kind of respect the title and badge represents. Which I found really interesting after reading later on IMDB that the film was intended as an allegory in Hollywood for the failure of the people to stand up to the House Un-American Activities Committee during the McCarthy Era.

Final thoughts: I really liked the movie which surprised me despite the fact that it is considered one of the best Westerns ever made.

OFFICIAL COUNT 51 DOWN 314 TO GO

Next up: Fried Green Tomatoes

No comments: