Friday, July 30, 2010

"I'm puttin on my Top Hat"

Top Hat, 1935
Top Hat

Top Hat

I've never heard anyone really talk about this movie very much. I'm excited to finally see a movie with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers though.

After having watched the movie:
(Possible spoilers below)

There really isn't a lot to say about this movie. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't one of my favorite movies that I've seen to date. The comedy aspect of the movie though was absolutely wonderful. I loved all the miscommunication between the Ginger Rogers, Fred Astaire, and Helen Broderick. Considering the year it was made, I imagine the movie was very funny. However because we have become a more sex-driven and less conservative society, I think a movie like this would have had more success on TV in an episodic sit-com than as a feature length film if it were released today. Certainly all the great dance numbers would be cut from the movie and I would imagine more sexual jokes and situations would have been added for an audience today.

I also have to point out how fabulous all of the wardrobe was throughout the movie, with the one exception being a black dress with sheer sleeves that Ginger Rogers wears half way through the movie.


Although the black dress is made up for and almost completely forgiven when we get to see Ginger and Fred dance together while she is wearing this:



Final thoughts: I'm glad that I was finally able to watch a movie with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. Despite the high regards and iconic status both hold still hold today, I don't know that there would have ever been an instance in which I decided to watch this movie. I sometimes bring up the idea of remaking older movies, and this one that I think we've borrowed ideas from but I don't think it should ever be remade.

OFFICIAL COUNT 45 DOWN 320 TO GO

Next up: Inglorious Basterds

No comments: