Sunday, August 15, 2010

Kramer vs. Kramer

Kramer vs. Kramer, 1979
Kramer vs. Kramer

Kramer vs. Kramer

I was first introduced to the movie when I was in film school. I think we were talking about trying to develop and establish characters with just little screen time, and this was a great example because Meryl Streep's character is absent for the majority of the movie. Which I guess really says a lot about Meryl Streep as an actor, because she won an Academy Award for her role in the movie. If you weren't a Meryl Streep fan when you started reading and keeping up with the progress of the 365 Movie Challenge, by the end of the 365 Movie Challenge you will be. We were only shown clips in class, so at best I would guess that I had seen maybe twenty minutes of the movie at the most.

After having watched the movie:
(Possible spoilers below)

This movie hit closer to home than I had ever expected it to. It was kind of awful watching Dustin Hoffman have to adjust to being a single parent, because it made me think about the divorce my parents went through and just how nasty and dirty custody cases can become. After my parents divorce it took me more than a year to adjust to a new lifestyle, and although I've been able to make my own choices as an adult for five years now I can still see the effects it has had in mine and my sisters' life.

Overall I loved the movie, but I wasn't really able to sympathize with Meryl Streep's character the way that I think so many other people have been able to. I don't know, but it kind of makes me wonder how many other people have felt the same way about the character and maybe just haven't spoke up yet.

Final thoughts: Without a doubt this is an amazing movie. I loved being able to watch Ted and Billy grow closer together as they adjusted to life without Joanna, but I don't think it's something I could watch repeatedly. I just feel as though certain parts of the movie are difficult to watch. Specifically I hated the scenes in the courtroom and listening to the testimonies of both parents, I thought it was awful but understood why it was in the movie.

OFFICIAL COUNT 61 DOWN 304 TO GO

Next up: Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

No comments: