Monday, August 30, 2010

Wild Strawberries

Wild Strawberries, 1957
Wild Strawberries - Criterion Collection

Wild Strawberries - Criterion Collection

I can't recall how this movie made it onto the list. I think perhaps it had been a suggestion made by a friend? Anyways at this point I don't really have any idea what the movie is about. I cheated a little and read the brief synopsis on Netflix, so of course now after having done so I know that it's a foreign film.

I'm also a little reluctant to watch the movie, but maybe it will be just as amazing as The Bicycle Thief was and I'll really like the movie.

After having watched the movie:
(Possible spoilers below)

One of the first impressions of the movie that I had was that it would be a retelling of memories from the old man's life, the same way Fried Green Tomatoes had been done. The way the story was told wasn't too far off from what I had anticipated, but I never expected the main character to be such an grumpy old man. Not that I'm complaining, there's actually something a little charming about him. One of my favorite lines from the movie, and I think it really says a lot about the character and ideals of this old man, was early in the movie while riding in the car with his daughter-in-law, Marianne. Just as Marianne lights up a cigarette Isak, the old man, asks Marianne to refrain from smoking and even goes as far as to insist that there be a law forbidding woman to smoke. The scene goes on as follows:
Isak: There should be a law forbidding women to smoke. (Pause) Now give me a cigar; that's stimulating and relaxing. That's a vice for men.
Marianne: And what vices may a woman have?
Isak: Weeping, giving birth, and speaking ill of her neighbors.
When I was watching the movie I cringed a little thinking that none of those things sounded like fun: weeping or giving birth. It wasn't really until he mentioned speaking ill of ones neighbors that I kind of thought, "Well I guess if women are to have only those three vices, that one isn't so bad and too far fetched." I'm not sure how that reflects on me as a person, but I loved the fact that this grumpy old man is sexist enough to assume these are comparable vices for men and women. But it was 1957 when the movie was made, and it's foreign so some of the ideas people had back then were different.

Final thoughts: Throughout the movie we realize that Isak hasn't always been able to lead a happy life, in fact his life is rather empty. He's had several things to overcome, some harder than others. His brother for instance ended up marring Sara, a girl that he was in love with. We also realize that he has a rather distant relationship with his son, which is rather depressing.

On a bit of a different note though: This seems to be a pattern with a lot of foreign films, they're able to go into a darker subject matter and be regarded as great films. I don't know if it's part of the American spirit, but a lot of the films we make are positive and leave the audience feeling upbeat about things. I mean, I realize there are some stories that are told on the silver screen that are tragic and at times our hero's don't always win, but for the most part they come out on top. We're about rooting for the underdog, overcoming our fears, and letting at least one pretty girl escape the clutches of a masked serial killer or evil force.

OFFICIAL COUNT 74 DOWN 291 TO GO

Next up: Bram Stoker's Dracula

No comments: