Saturday, August 7, 2010

The Last Picture Show

The Last Picture Show, 1971
The Last Picture Show: The Definitive Director's Cut (Special Edition)

The Last Picture Show: The Definitive Director's Cut (Special Edition)

It's true that the cover work for the movie L.A. Confidential really struck me as interesting, and the same thing can be said for the title of this movie. At this point into the 365 Movie Challenge it's been getting a bit more difficult to distinguish between which friends have recommended which movies to me. The title does however make me feel as though it's something that I have been introduced to before even though I am sure that is not the case.

After having watched the movie:
(Possible spoilers below)

One of the only scenes in the movie of the kids in school there's a small note on the chalkboard with the date November 14, 1951. After that and seeing the clothes and cars in the movie I had just accepted that the movie was made in the same decade, and then sex and boobs happened all over the movie. I felt a little silly, because I knew there was no way a movie from that decade would show that kind of smut. I Love Lucy really stirred things up in the earlier part of the '50s when they took audiences inside their bedroom, and both Ricky and Lucy couldn't been seen in the same bed. It bothered me so much that I had to stop the movie and look again to find out which year the movie was made in. Once I realized it was made in 1971 all of the sexual content seemed to make a lot more sense.

Over all, I tend to like coming of age stories which is exactly what this movie was. Although I had kind of wished the movie had ended on a high note. I know it's not realistic for high school friends to stay friends forever and it's not as realistic for high school sweethearts to end up together, but I wanted to see it happen in the movie. I'll admit though, I lost a little bit of interest in the movie when Duane and Jacy both started making poor relationship choices: Duane with Ruth Popper and Jacy with the random guy at the pool hall.

Final thoughts: I'm not going to try to sugar coat this one, I liked the movie but it's a little forgettable. I feel like it's one of those movies that it would take me watching ten-fifteen minutes of before I had realized I have already seen the movie.

OFFICIAL COUNT 53 DOWN 312 TO GO

Next up: Star Trek III: The Search for Spock

No comments: