Saturday, February 19, 2011

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, 1966
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (Two-Disc Special Edition)

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (Two-Disc Special Edition)

In my mind I've built this movie up to be something to see similar to what I had done in regards to A Streetcar Named Desire.

After having watched the movie:
(Possible spoilers below)

I don't what my problem is, but if this movie and A Streetcar Named Desire has taught me anything, it's to stop anticipating some of these movies to be so great. Really I think they're movies that when they were made, were something to see and now are movies that everyone talks about but no one really watches. It's a 'safe title' on everyone's favorite movie list, so they can avoid being poked fun at for liking movies like Weekend at Bernie's.

It took me a while to finally realize what was going on in the movie, and at first I was happy to play along with the fighting older couple who were kind of forced into entertaining a newly wed couple. The movie lost me about forty-five minutes in when all they were doing was continuing to argue and it seemed as though there was story built on top of a story that I got so confused I didn't know what was true and which part was false. It wasn't until later, and after talking about the movie with my Grams that I started to get an idea as to what was going on. It didn't change my opinion on the movie. I still don't like it and think it's too long, but under the circumstances that I was given tickets to see it on stage, I'd be willing to give the story a second chance. Otherwise, I won't be watching it again.

Final thoughts: I really don't have any other final thoughts about the movie. I just didn't like it and there are only so many ways to say that. And I'm going to go ahead and beat someone to the punch and just say now, that I realize the movie made a splash when it was first released. I know Elizabeth Taylor considers it her personal best, and that all the actors received highly regarded award nominations for their work but it doesn't make the movie shorter, or anymore interesting.

OFFICIAL COUNT: 158 DOWN 207 TO GO

Next up: The Searchers

No comments: