Saturday, February 19, 2011

Pray for Rosemary's Baby

Rosemary's Baby, 1986
Rosemary's Baby

Rosemary's Baby


First and foremost I should acknowledge that this was a book first and a movie second. It's also one of the books that I wasn't really too interested in reading before watching the movie. I mean, I guess if I had it just sitting around in my apartment then I would have read it first but that clearly wasn't the case. It's also a movie that I have already heard a lot about, mostly from recap style shows where the plot and all of it's secrets are carelessly spilled all over the floor. The exception to that being Americas Next Top Model reruns where Tyra attempts to give girls, "a Mia Farrow haircut from Rosemary's Baby." And don't judge me for watching that show. It's fun low-grade reality TV that everyone has watch but won't admit it until at least two other people also admit to watching the day long marathons as well.
After having watched the movie:
(Possible spoilers below)
Oh this movie was erie and those neighbors are the icing on the cake! I probably won't make many friends for saying this, but I think so much of the credit for the success of the movie really has to go to Roman Polanski. Until after I watched the movie, and did a bit of digging, all I knew about Polanski was that if he were to ever return to the United States he would have to face incarceration for the statutory rape of a thirteen year old girl. It really is like an unwritten rule, whenever you mention Polanski you also have to mention that crime from the 70s.
This movie was first screen adaptation that Polanski took on, and not realizing he could take several liberties and change things up a bit he stay true to the novel. Even down to some of the dialogue. That's incredible to me, because it drives me crazy when a movie is so incredibly different then the book that was written first.
And being a fan of all things art deco, vintage, and design you better believe I loved every bit of watching Rosemary update the apartment for her and her husband. So imagine my surprise when I realized one of my favorite design blogs did a spot from this movie! The writers take a popular and most older movie and find furniture and clothing that are similar or inspired by the movie. Next to the DIY projects, it's one of my favorite aspects to their blog. 
Another thing that I found fascinating about the movie, and maybe because I've seen it first hand, is how willing an actor is to do something outlandish so long as a director is willing to do it first. Mia Farrow was fearful of wondering aimlessly out into New York City traffic, and rightfully so I might add, but it only took Polanski reminding her that to an unknowing driver she's a pregnant lady. And no one would ever hit a pregnant lady crossing the road. And of course it was up to Polanski to shoot the sequence handheld as he followed her walking into traffic. Now I've been told, and I believe it because I've been put in similar situations, that next to stuntmen the highest number of injuries are incurred on set are camera operators and camera assistants. Unfortunately when I'm working on set, I'm often sandwiched between camera and the director, in other words I have to be there. I have a scar on the lower part of my right shin from falling face first into the bed of a camera truck at dusk to film a chase sequence. I've been unexpectedly thrown around in the back of an SUV that for the purpose of filming a chicken scene was driving head on at a truck because I was watching the monitor and didn't know to brace myself and wasn't harnessed in. And for some reason, because we see a fearless director telling to go for it and an Assistant Director who is only a little leery we do as their asking without really thinking too much about it. I think mostly because it's peer pressure, you don't want to be the one person on a crew of 50+ people to hold up production for safety. It's only when a stunt man is brought in or the Key Grip starts talking under his breath about how putting crew members in the back of a SUV probably isn't the greatest idea that I get butterflies in my stomach.
Final thoughts on the movie: That whole rape thing aside, Polanski got this one right. The movie is erie and even though I knew the plot of the movie I was so angry with Mr. Rosemary for his lack of concern for his wife and condition of his unborn child. Of course I also have this tiniest bit of underlying fear that at some point in my life I'm going to experience something, and all the people around me are going to tell me that I'm imagining things. I think it's when we can relate our own fears, even if they're the tiniest ones, to what we watch play out on screen it really helps to establish that necessary connection between the audience and characters on screen.
OFFICIAL COUNT: 156 DOWN 209 TO GO
Next up: The Wrestler

No comments: