Saturday, February 19, 2011

The biggest epic of the 365 Movie Challenge: Lawrence of Arabia

Lawrence of Arabia
Lawrence of Arabia (Single Disc Edition)

Lawrence of Arabia (Single Disc Edition)

I don't know what really made me pick this movie so early on from Netflix. It would turn out to probably be one of the biggest mistakes I've made in the 365 Movie Challenge, not trying to watch the movie but picking a movie I wasn't really ready to watch at the time. I knew this was going to be a movie of epic proportions, but I guess I just thought that I'd feel better about the progress I was making once I kind of powered through the movie.

After having watched the movie:
(Possible spoilers below)

Boy was I wrong. This isn't the kind of movie you can power through. In-fact, I think I had it sitting at home for more than a week and less than a month. It became the movie that I would watch 30 minutes of it to fall asleep to each week. Really, this was a problem all in it's own because the only real progress I was making was twenty minutes a night. If I had fallen asleep in the last ten minutes of the movie, I would have to re-watch it to know what was going on in the story.

I really don't think anything says epic the way this movie does. It's not the greatest epic movie from the list (in my opinion) but it was the first movie that made me think, "OMG how did anyone ever break this script down, have any kind of continuity, and keep things in order and on schedule?" Production lasted an entire fourteen months. That's incredible. I can't even wrap my mind around that. What an exhausting project to work on.

Final thoughts: There really is a lot to say about this movie, from pre prodcution and casting problems, to the wardrobe and filming locations that to write about everything would then make this article an epic as well. And though I know it may turn some people off, the biggest thing about this movie for me was just realizing how big it was. I'm spending what will be a year of my life watching movies. I still have hours in my day left for work, and recreation when I can squeeze it in. This movie spent more time than that in production. I take it back! Lawrence of Arabia, it ranks at number one on my list as the largest epic of the 365 Movie Challenge.

OFFICIAL COUNT: 154 DOWN 211 TO GO

Next up: The Princess and the Warrior

No comments: