Saturday, February 19, 2011

I actually loved Love Actually

Love Actually, 2003
Love Actually (Widescreen Edition)

Love Actually (Widescreen Edition)

This was another gifted movie to The Boyfriend from my Grandparents. I'm not sure how he's going to feel about me sharing that but if it's already done then there's really no going back. He and my friends had promised me it was a good Romantic Comedy, which it seems these days are a little hard to come by.

After having watched the movie:
(Possible spoilers below)

I have to admit, it was a good Romantic Comedy, proof then that the genera isn't that bad after all. To be fair to the entire genera though, I think it's easy to write a bad Romantic Comedy in a weekend and because there are those who believe in romance they'll still be willing to give even the worse of Romantic Comedies a chance.

I don't know if it was Lost or Crash but I'm really starting to get into these super complex plots in which the characters either knowing or unknowingly cross each others paths. I think it's a great opportunity to bring in a great cast, and breaking up the screen time allows more room for more love stories. I know I also like to think that these actors all travel in the same circles and hang out together on the weekends, so it seems natural to me that so many of them would be so willing to join a project like this.

My favorite of all the love stories in the movie though was between Sam and Joanna. There's something so innocent about first loves or your first crush as a kid. My first crush was in the second grade, and I told my Mom. I remember for picture day that year she and my second cousin made a big fuss over doing my hair and makeup. In reality, I barely had any blush on, but thought I was the cutest little blonde. The funny thing is that when I look at the picture today I question why I ever let my Mother do my hair that day.

Final thoughts: My Grandpa is a true romantic, he fell in love with my Grams when he saw her for the first time one school bus. He's read every Nicholas Sparks book he can get his hands on and this last week we watch an episode of Live with Regis and Kelly which featured a couple he read about in the newspaper. Their story was that they were high school sweethearts, who grew apart only to find each other forty some years later and marry. I want to watch this movie with him. I want to have that memory of the two of us watching the movie together.

OFFICIAL COUNT: 161 DOWN 204 TO GO

Next up: What Dreams May Come

No comments: