Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Moonstruck: just whelmed

Moonstruck, 1987
Moonstruck (Deluxe Edition)

Moonstruck (Deluxe Edition)

I don't really know what to expect out of this, I mean I know I'm going to at least be told to, "Snap out of it!" I really only think I added it to the list, because my friend Wil said he would be interested in watching the movie with me. I'll admit, even before starting the 365 Movie Challenge it was nice to know that there would be a couple of friends who were willing to sit down and watch at least some of these movies with me.

After having watched the movie:
(Possible spoilers below)

It turns out I wouldn't watch this movie without Wil. Instead I watched it while I was rolling out more than 200 balls of peanut butter for Buckeyes. To be fair though, it was one of those that were watch instantly on Netflix and I was already so far behind that I just turned it on. So Wil, if you still want to watch this movie together I'd be glad to watch it again after the 16th of June.

I have to say after watching the movie though, I don't really know that I'd say it's all that great. There's a line from 10 Things I Hate About You that I like to use in these situations.
Chasity: I know you can be overwhelmed, and you can be underwhelmed, but can you ever just be whelmed? 
Bianca: I think you can in Europe.

 Basically the movie hasn't really stuck with me the way other movies have. I don't think I understood any of Rose's logic or even agreed with it in the slightest. It's good to marry the ones you don't really love? And even the logic that Loretta used throughout the movie. To me it really just made the stuff the girls talk about in Sex in the City look like good advice. Which for the record, and please pay attention ladies, doesn't really offer a lot of good advice.

Final thoughts: I have to agree with the people from Premier Magazine, this is probably one of the most overrated movies.

PROGRESS BEING MADE: 145 DOWN 220 TO GO

Next up: Saving Private Ryan

No comments: