Friday, June 25, 2010

Do I really want to spend my next weekend with Bernie?

Weekend at Bernie's, 1989
Weekend at Bernie's

Weekend at Bernie's

I already know the synopsis of the movie: these two guys are invited to spend the weekend with Bernie at his place when he unexpectedly dies. I just don't know why these two guys try to make it through the weekend pretending there friend is alive. I'm not really expecting a lot, because I kind of feel like if it were really a great comedy from the late 80's it would be shown more on TBS or Comedy Central. However with the pressures of they 365 Movie Challenge: watching and writing about a new movie every day which and working another part time job, I'm starting to feel worn out. I had a rather hectic day at work, and I'm hoping that this comedy and getting to bed before midnight is all I need.

After having watched the movie:
(Possible spoilers below)

I don't know why, but I never really imagined all the physical comedy that would be involved with making this movie. I've always really liked physical comedy. I love the show America's Funniest Home Videos because it's full of physical comedy and two of my favorite Comedy stars are Lucille Ball and Buster Keaton. A fun fact: Buster Keaton actually taught Lucille Ball how to do physical comedy, which is perhaps one of the reasons Lucille Ball was so successful. Remember the I Love Lucy episode where Lucy decides to take Ballet lessons and gets tangled up on the bar?

I thought Weekend at Bernie's was a little weak and far fetched, but we seem to be willing to over look that as long as we are laughing and having a good time. Which I did. I actually laughed out loud when I was watching the movie alone. I think it says a lot for the writing when you're watching a movie alone and lough out loud. Watching Larry and Richard try to make it through the weekend pretending their dead boss is still alive was ridiculous. I absolutely loved watching them at the house party trying to fool everyone when Richard and Larry first realized Bernie was dead. Even better than that was the next day when Bernie was sitting pool side in the middle of a monopoly game with one of guys. It was brilliant to tie his wrist so the man could wave to people as they walked by.

Final thoughts: After a long day it was nice to be able to put in something that was easy to watch and had a few really great laughs. I thought Andrew McCarthy and Johnathan Silverman did a great job handling all of hte physical comedy that was involved with the movie. I know there was a sequel made, but does anyone know if the actors have done anymore physical comedy work?

OFFICIAL COUNT: 11 DOWN 354 TO GO

Next Up: The Maltese Falcon

No comments: