Monday, November 8, 2010

The Big Labowski

The Big Labowski, 1998
The Big Lebowski - 10th Anniversary Edition

The Big Lebowski - 10th Anniversary Edition


This is one of The Boyfriends favorite movies, so it made sense to watch it together. We watched the movie in October, while I was working on Cassadaga. I know it might be hard for some people to really wrap their minds around a production schedule, but I think Faye Dunaway said it best, "When you're doing a movie, that's all you're doing." A movies production schedule can get kind of crazy and before you know it days start to blend together and a twelve hour work day is normal. This was one of those rare occasions when our schedules matched up. So naturally, part of the excitement around watching the movie wasn't just getting to see it for the first time, but getting to spend time watching the movie with The Boyfriend.
After having watched the movie:
(Possible spoilers below)
Wow. I really needed this movie and this night. It doesn't really matter what I do though, I never seem to realize just how tired I am until I slow down. It's true a lot of what the movie meant to me was being able to just kind of relax with the boyfriend after a long day and laugh at Walter, Dan Goodman, just completely shut Donny, Steve Buscemi, down again and again, "Shut the f*ck up, Donny." There are so many great comedic elements throughout the movie, but my favorite dynamic is that between Donny and Walter. Walter being this kind of hot headed, person who does things before he thinks them through and Donny kind of reminded me a friend who was just kind of along for the ride. I also have to admit, I didn't think he'd just die. That - really upset me.
The cast really surprised me though. Not that I had expected less from them, but that I had absolutely no idea that Philip Seymour Hoffman was in this movie. I swear that man has been in almost everything, and he's become an Easter Egg of himself. Don't believe me? Watch, the next time you start watching Twister "because it's on TNT again" for some reason Dusty is going to seem more familiar to you than before. Then it hits you - it's Philip Seymour Hoffman! And Jeff Bridges, I guess I just don't get it. But he was the perfect person to play The Dude. Obviously, the role was written with him in mind, but even most of the clothes that The Dude wore in the movie were infact Jeff Bridges' clothes.
Final thoughts: I think it's safe to chalk this one up as being more of a guys movie, but that doesn't mean we should look the other way ladies. It's not Predator - there's going to be something in the movie for you too. I really liked watching the movie and I'd have no problem watching the movie again - after June 15, 2011 of course.

OFFICIAL COUNT 118 DOWN 247 TO GO

Next up: Bonnie and Clyde

No comments: