Monday, November 29, 2010

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, 1939
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

I found this movie at the library and I thought for sure it was going to be on the list, so you can almost imagine how shocked I was to realize that it wasn't part of the list. Although like I've said before there have been a couple of movies that were mistakenly added to the list that I have already seen. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington was added to the list in place of Mad Max II: Road Warrior.

After having watched the movie:
(Possible spoilers below)

I have to admit that I was a little surprised by the movie, for 1939 I thought it was a lot to come against the media and the 'Taylor Machine' in such a strong way. I mean, I realize we've always had the right and opportunity to speak out against our government but I never imagined this movie to be what it was. I loved James Stewart in the role of Jefferson Smith, a patriotic, Boy Ranger leader who suddenly finds himself as a member of the United States Senate. What's a Ranger Boy, it was used in substitution for Boy Scout when the Boy Scouts of America didn't want to lend their name to the movie. Once Senator Smith got adjusted and tried to keep busy in the Senate he found trouble with the 'Taylor Machine' or what we might consider a modern day Halliburton.

James Stewart went to great length to really be at the top of his game during production. He saw the role as a role of a lifetime and took it very seriously. The set that was constructed for the Senate Chamber was built on stages 8 and 9 of the Columbia lot, and was at the time the largest set built. Although after learning that Jean Arhur felt her left side was her best side, the majority of the sets were built and scenes were filmed so that she could be shot from the left side. Oh Jean Arthur what a diva perhaps you were worthy of the Sour Apple 1942 for least cooperative actress.

Final thoughts: Despite the fact that movie kind of ends abruptly - and I'm not kidding it was as though the writer realized they finally reached page 90 in their screenplay and was able to go outside and play, wrapped things up as quickly as possible. I don't believe Paine would have suddenly had too much, was ready to shoot himself but then had such a change of heart as to march back to Senate Chamber and straighten everything out. I mean it isn't impossible, but I don't think I know too many politicians who would suddenly have such a change of heart so quickly. So if you can get past that, it's an empowering movie that makes you, the audience, feel like you really have a hand in what your government accomplishes and I like that about the movie.

I'd also be curious to know which political party people believe Taylor, Paine, and Jefferson to be apart of. Comments welcome below!

OFFICIAL COUNT: 129 DOWN 236 TO GO

Next up: The Ghost and Mrs. Muir

No comments: