Monday, November 29, 2010

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, 1947
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir


This was one of the movies that had been recommended to me by Mrs. Brooks and I couldn't believe that I was able to find the movie at the library just when she was going to be in town from Maryland. Talk about timing right? That's what I thought, but unfortunately with having spent so much time at the hospital with my Grandpa that week I wasn't able to sit down and watch the movie with her. Instead I watched the movie with my Grams, but Mrs. Brooks if you're reading this - I want to the buy the movie and watch it again with you!
After having watched the movie:
(Possible spoilers below)
I loved this movie. I never imagined it to be the kind of love story that it was, and I absolutely love the way the movie ended. I never saw the ending coming, I wanted the ghost to stick around with the family longer than he did but understand why he left. Realizing only after having watched the movie that there is also a book, I can't wait to get my hands on it. Just after I finish reading the magazines that I'm two months behind in. On a side note, I really don't know how I've been spending my time that I am so behind in everything that I am typically able to stay on top of with ease.
On a different note, for a time in the 1990s there was serious talk about remaking the movie staring Sean Connery and Michele Pfeiffer and I can't help but to think that we weren't robbed a little when the movie never happened. I can't imagine another pairing that would have been enough to embody the roles of the Gene Tierney and Rex Harrison and make them their own at the same time. To play casting director for a minute the only other actors I think that could really take on and make it their own would be Michelle William, Amy Adams, and I can't imagine anyone but Sean Connery as the Captain.
Final thoughts: This was my first introduction to actress Gene Tierney and once I realized she is the lead in the movie Laura, which is also part of the 365 Movie Challenge, I can't wait to watch the movie. And although it's not on my list, I'm also really excited to get to see later Heave Can Wait.
OFFICIAL COUNT: 130 DOWN 235 TO GO
Next up: JFK

No comments: