Monday, November 29, 2010

Hoosiers

Hoosiers, 1986
For two years I played basketball in high school. Now, those were the only two years I had ever played basketball, so I think it's important to exterminate any illusions of grandure. It's probably safe to say the only real thing I had to contribute to the team was my 5'10" stature and a couple of lucky shots here and there. Playing basketball those two years was never really about becoming a great basketball player, it was about the experience and being able to say I did that for years. There were girls I played with who would have given almost anything to have had the chance to play at the State Championship level. I know this movie is about an underdog team that beats the odds and goes on to win the Indiana Boys Basketball State Championship in the 1050s, and I think it's something anyone who has ever played a team sport can really relate to.
After having watched the movie:
(Possible spoilers below)
My favorite thing about watching this movie, and perhaps this is because I watched it to keep my mind focused on something other than my watch while my Grandpa was in surgery was learning about the real team that took the title that year. The movie predates the game and basketball season it represents by two years. The movie, set in 1952, was based on the Milan Indians in 1954. When I was digging through different articles and trying to sort out fact from 'Hollywood movie magic and creative story telling' I came across this great website which did all of that in what I thought was a great format.
Final thoughts: Each year that I played basketball one member of the senior class usually hosted a slumber party for all the other girls on the team. It was typical to get pizza, chips, and junk food. We would stay up late, make jokes, share stories, and usually watch a basketball movie. I always had a lot of fun at our parties, and I couldn't tell you what all we talked about or the movies we watched - but why we never watched Hoosiers, well that I couldn't tell you either.
OFFICIAL COUNT 124 DOWN 241 TO GO
Next up: Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind

No comments: