Monday, November 29, 2010

Charlie Wilson's War

Charlie Wilson's War, 2007
Charlie Wilson's War (Widescreen)

Charlie Wilson's War (Widescreen)


My Grams kind of gave me the heads up that this was a political movie and was a lot of talking back and forth between characters, which meant she wasn't interested and wanted to watch something else. So I left the living and had to watch the movie on my computer. Not as much for or as appealing to watch on DVD in the living room, but I typically let her have the living room and just kind of settle for watching the movie on the computer. After all it's my 365 Movie Challenge, and I can't expect to have someone watch every movie with me.
After having watched the movie:
(Possible spoilers below)
Forgive me for being born after the fact, but in all actuality I've never spent too much time reading about the invasion of Afghanistan by the Soviets. I mean, once we entered war with Iraq and had sent more troops to Afghanistan then I learned a little more about the invasion. The truth is, there is a lot of information about what was going on during that time as well as the involvement Charlie Wilson had available online. Below I've posted links to some of the more helpful websites I've found.
Final thoughts: Again like Hoosiers, the most enjoyable part of the movie for me was later hearing about what really happened. Movies are typically never shot the same way the events really occurred, 'based on a true story' means that creative minds had to change a little here and there to make for a better story. I liked the movie, I thought it was interesting and a bit informative but it's not one I think I'd watch again. The story is kind of long, and I'm not really interested in International Politics.
One last note, in some of the bonus features on the DVD Philip Seymour Hoffman is on record saying that he was still an up and coming star. Um, excuse me Mr. Hoffman but this movie was made in 2007 by which time you had won: an Academy Award the year before for your role in Capote,  had been Emmy Nominated multiple times, were a Golden Glob Winner, and recognized by many other organizations and that doesn't even take into consideration the numerous roles you had been given prior the your role in Charlie Wilson's War. While I certainly think it's no time to retire just yet, I just think you should really take a moment to realize that by the time you had given that interview you had already made an impression on the film industry.

OFFICIAL COUNT: 127 DOWN 238 TO GO

Next up: The Motorcycle Diaries

Learn more about Charlie Wilson:

http://www.chasingthefrog.com/reelfaces/charliewilsonswar.php
http://www.biography.com/articles/Charlie-Wilson-259665
http://www.charliewilsonswar.net/

No comments: