Monday, September 13, 2010

X-Men

X Men, 2000
X-Men Trilogy (X-Men/ X2 - X-Men United/ X-Men - The Last Stand)

X-Men Trilogy (X-Men/ X2 - X-Men United/ X-Men - The Last Stand)

This was one of the movies that I've heard so much about for so long that it's nearly driven me crazy. Not having been a comic book fan, I don't really know anything about this movie. It's not that I have anything against comic books or people who read them; I just always thought they were something that people read in the cartoon Doug. I didn't think comic books had any real fan base, but I was seven. Okay, I realized comic books were "a thing" when I moved to Orlando and started college.

Anyways, I'm excited to find out what was so great about this movie and comic book series that has kept so many people talking about it for so long.

After having watched the movie:
(Possible spoilers below)

If the movie is even slightly similar to what the comic books were/are, I don't know are they still printing new editions or if the series is out of print, I completely understand why everyone loved the story. I seriously feel like I'm finally in the loop now and I'm really excited about watching the rest of the X Men movies.

One of the things that really stood out to me was Rebecca Romijn's make up. Wil told me a little about all the work that went into it and then I read about it later online and was surprised to find out the extent of time and effort that went into her makeup. I didn't realize that more than 60% of her body was covered with 60 prosthetics that were used during filming, I think that's incredible. I was also surprised when I read that the makeup artists also used food coloring to complete the look. And then I later read that Rebecca Romijn had to be in an isolated room when she wasn't shooting, as a preventative measure to keep her look a secret. I mean, really? That's tough. I would have been so bored, so in order to celebrate the last day of shooting she brought tequilla and did shots with the other cast members during filming breaks. As a result, girl got drunk and threw up blue vomit (because of her makeup) all over Hugh Jackman while filming a fighting sequence.

 Another big problem that a lot of the actors seemed to face dealt mostly with the contact lenses they had to wear during production. Reportedly they were very uncomfortable to wear. Tyler Mane was blinded for a day after wear the lenses too long and Rebecca Romijn could only wear the lenses for an hour at a time in addition to only have 10% vision. Yikes. Part of me feels like Halle Berry though is just a bit of a drama queen, who didn't wear contact lenses because she found them to be too unbearable. I mean to create the look of an opaque eye I'm sure would have required a thick contact lens, but in my mind she is always just a diva.

Wardrobe and make demands aside I think the movie was amazing. There were only a few things I really called shenanigans on during the movie. I thought it was a little far fetched that Anna Paquin wouldn't just start touching people when she was kidnapped and held captive. I mean if I were Rogue and someone tried to kidnap and hold me against me will, I would touch them every time I had the slightest opportunity even if it would mean ankle on ankle contact. Eventually I'd be able to get away.

Final thoughts: Overall I thought the movie was amazing. I can understand now why so many people loved the comic book series and even the cartoon show. I really do feel like I'm in the loop now that I've finally seen the movie and I'm even more excited about watching the rest of the X-Men movies that are on my list.

OFFICIAL COUNT 87 DOWN 278 TO GO

Next up: How to Marry a Millionaire

P.S. There is a fun Easter Egg on the DVD that has a fun clip of Spiderman worth checking out!

No comments: