Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Spirit

The Spirit, 2008
The Spirit

The Spirit

This is one of the movies that have been on my list of things that I've wanted to watch even before I started the 365 Movie Challenge, which is why I made an executive decision and added it to the list. It was also a movie that I promised I would watch with my friend Wil.

After having watched the movie:
(Possible spoilers below)

Despite what many people had to say about the movie, which was mostly negative, I really liked the movie. I think maybe because I didn't have any high expectations of the movie being anything Sin City. One of the greatest things about the movie though were several characters names: Silken Floss, and all the multiple characters played by Louis Lombardi. Which, by the way Huevos was my favorite, but only because prior to watching the movie with Wil we had multiple conversations about eggs.

Eggs aren't really something Wil and I would normally talk about, it just happened that before getting to his house I got stuck behind an older couple at the grocery store who were worried they my have purchased bad eggs. Here's the thing though: it's been a while since the latest Salmonella scare and the grocery store would not have restocked the shelves with Salmonella laced eggs. Then add to my grocery store story a clip from The Dish with Chief Ramsey and followed up with a joke about the 20,000 eggs required to make omelets. I realize it makes more sense in context, but the clip wasn't available online. I'd just take my word for it. Anyways we were able to round things up before watching the movie when Wil then told me this great Simpson's joke about omelets. It just seems like a lot of energy was spent talking about eggs, because continuously throughout the movie Samuel L. Jackson's character, The Octopus, would remind us that he hates egg on his face. I realize the egg thing is really random, but it really is a perfect example of what I mean when I say I find myself in kind of strange circumstances all the time.

I know the movie wasn't as fantastic as Sin City, I actually think it will be a while until another movie comes along that is better or more fantastic than Sin City, but the movie had a lot great one liners and moments. I absolutely love Scarlett Johansson, I think she's a little like Brittany Murphey and has this ability to be completely mad. Scarlett Johansson is definitely my favorite character in the movie.

Final thoughts: It's not hard to get a sense of the movies comic book origins. Having never read a comic book before, I think it's a perfect story line.

OFFICIAL COUNT 78 DOWN 287 TO GO

Next up: Steel Magnolias

No comments: