Friday, September 10, 2010

There's Something About Mary

There's Something About Mary, 1998
There's Something About Mary (Widescreen Edition)

There's Something About Mary (Widescreen Edition)

I can remember being on the school bus riding home after school in the sixth grade and listening to all the boys talk about this movie and how great it was. Oh, and of course how amazing and crazy hot Cameron Diaz is to pre-teen boys. I'm not sure why I never really had much of an interest though to find out what it is exactly about Mary, but twelve years later I'm going to give it a shot.

After having watched the movie:
(Possible spoilers below)

I'm a little surprised that so many of the boys I went to school with had seen this movie when it first came out back in 1998. Maybe it wasn't so bad though, because I can remember watching a lot of movies as a kid or preteen and not really picking up on any of the sexual undertones in the movie. The perfect example of this has completely escaped me at this time, but I assure you there are more than a couple great examples.

This is kind of related and certainly worth noting though, the Farrely brothers decided to go all out for this movie after they were convinced this would be the last project they would ever work on after Kingpin had less than desirable results at the box office. Doing so was the best possible choice both brothers could have made because what resulted was one of the best received comedies of the year.

Final thoughts: The thing about this movie is that it's the kind of comedy that is still funny after the seventh time you've watched it. Cameron Diaz has this charm and magic that demands attention. She's the girl you want to sit at the same lunch table with in high school. Really, she just is Mary. Without Cameron I don't think the movie would've been the same.

OFFICIAL COUNT 83 DOWN 282 TO GO

Next up: Monsters Ball

No comments: