Thursday, September 16, 2010

THE BIGGEST PROBLEM WITH NETFLIX: L.A. Confidential but thats off the record, on the QT, and very hush hush.

L.A. Confidential, 1997
L.A. Confidential (Two-Disc Special Edition)

L.A. Confidential (Two-Disc Special Edition)

I don't really know what this movie is about and I don't think I've really heard a lot of people talk about it. I'm cautiously optimistic though because I'm intrigued by the cover art.

After having watched the movie:
(Possible spoilers below)

I was originally scheduled to watch this movie during week 8 of the 365 Movie Challenge, and finally in week 14 I was able to watch the movie. That's right, six freakin' weeks later. Here's the deal, I'm a little stubborn and after numerous false hopes courtesy of Netflix I refused to just go to Blockbuster to rent the movie. You see mysteriously the movie was moved from my number one spot in my queue to number two, then hit a 'Very Long Wait' status. I lost track how many times it showed 'Available' at night only to log back into my account and the status of the movie was once again changed to 'Very Long Wait.' I ask you Netflix, how does the status of a movie change so quickly in as little as seven hours?! This went on nearly everyday for 6 weeks. So naturally, if Netflix had any serious competition I would have been online, on phone, and sending e-mails threatening to switch movie providers so fast their heads would spin.

This and of course the company then started taking their time shipping out DVDs to me has made me want to scream! Come on people, I have a 365 Movie Challenge and I'm tired of always being one movie shy of completing the week. Something like that does a lot of damage to an overachiever's psyche. Not to mention the fact that I've been trying to get ahead because I've accepted another feature film job in October.

So naturally with all the fuss that seemed to spark around LA Confidential, I started to associate the growing resentment I had for Netflix and the 'Very Long Wait' statuses with the movie. Which means by the time I finally received the movie, I was expecting a lot from it. I'm talking Avatar quality.

The movie wasn't exactly Avatar status, but it was good. I don't think it was entirely worth the six week wait that I had to go through, but that's because I can be a little impatient. It's a great 'good cop, bad cop' movie and certainly worth all the money that was spent during production, I'm just not one to watch a lot of those types of movies repeatedly. In-fact, it's probably one of the best 'good cop, bad cop' movies that I have seen. Just for the record though, The Departed is most definitely at the top of my favorite 'good cop, bad cop' movies.

I have to admit though, I did really like all the production design and work that the art, makeup, hair and of course the wardrobe department did for the movie. It was probably my favorite thing the movie had to offer. I really only have one major complaint though about the wardrobe, and that's that a lot of them men went without wearing hats. Until Kennedy became president, it was uncommon to see men in business dress without a hat. I don't know, I mean I know it's small and kind of silly but I guess I'm just dying to work on a great time-period production.

There's just another really interesting thing that I think is worth noting. I learned about this after reading about the movie on the internet, and I kind of wish I had known these things before I had watched the movie. As it turns out, a lot of the events in the movie were based on things that really happened. For instance the, "Bloody Christmas" incident reportedly happened, as well as the arrest of real-life gangster, Mickey Choen, which would spark a gang war for control of the rackets within the city.

Final thoughts: This is a boys movie. If you really like 'good cop, bad cop' stories then this is going to be right up your alley, but for me the best part about the movie was finally receiving it from Netflix and getting to see the production design, hair, makeup and wardrobe from the movie.

OFFICIAL COUNT 90 DOWN 275 TO GO

Next up: 8 1/2

No comments: