Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Poltergeist

Poltergeist
Poltergeist (25th Anniversary Edition)

Poltergeist (25th Anniversary Edition)

I've only seen this movie on TV, and if you've seen the movie Showgirls (on DVD) and have also caught it on VH1 then you know it's almost two different movies. Well, I added this movie to the list and 365 Movie Challenge, because I had only ever seen it on TV and I wanted to make sure I had seen the same movie everyone else has. I'm just curious to see how different it is from what I had seen on TV.

After having watched the movie:
(Possible spoilers below)

I don't think I could have put together a better Saturday to watch this movie. During the day I had planned on trying to catch up on the week, I had a lot of writing to do and I definitely had to better organize my Netflix queue. Honestly though, I never imagined just how many days I would spend trying to catch up. It's almost become an unexpected theme with the 365 Movie Challenge. I have to admit though, I really enjoy doing the 365 Movie Challenge, so it completely caught me off guard when I realized it was almost five o'clock and I had spent the whole day writing and reading about the movies that I had watched earlier in the week. In fact, I'm spending Tuesday trying to do the same thing I did on Saturday.

Saturday night The Boyfriend and I ordered out for dinner and set ourselves up for a 'scary movie night.' For what feels like six billion years I've been trying to tell him how amazing the episode I Am Six, from  Paranormal State was when I first saw it. Here's the deal though, I don't really scare easy and I love ghost stories. Which means, I eat things like Paranormal State up! I don't know if it was that when I first watched I Am Six that I was up late at night, alone in the big house I shared with my roommates or if it was just a really scary episode. I'm fairly certain it's because it was just a really scary episode. So naturally I felt like we needed to start the night with Paranormal State; as a way to build up to Poltergeist.

When we got to it, the movie Poltergeist was great. I didn't think it was scary, but I think if I had seen it when I was nine or ten years old I would have been a little scared. For a long time though, snowy TVs have always scared me as a kid. Not necessarily because of the movie, but because my Grandpa had always told me that I shouldn't sit too close to the TV or I would hurt my eyes. I think it's a perfectly scary movie for kids around the age of twelve, because it's scary enough to spoke them without traumatizing the kids same time.

Final thoughts: I don't really think there are a lot of great stories from set to share from this movie. Actually the best part of the movie was watching the movie at home with The Boyfriend. I still can't shake the idea that the movie is perfectly crafted for a twelve-fourteen year olds slumber party.

OFFICIAL COUNT 95 DOWN 270 TO GO

Next up: The Deer Hunter

No comments: