Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Steel Magnolias

Steel Magnolias, 1989
Steel Magnolias (Special Edition)

Steel Magnolias (Special Edition)

I don't know what this movie is about, but I need this movie to be about life, love and loss in South as seen and experienced through the women in the movie. I need this to be a warm movie the way that Forrest Gump and Fried Green Tomatoes leaves you feeling good about life. I want to want to watch something that's uplifting and heart felt, and I will be extremely let down if this movie turns out to be something different than I had expected it to be.

After having watched the movie:
(Possible spoilers below)

OMG I loved this movie. It was everything I wanted it to be, and it's one of my favorite movies that I've seen because of the 365 Movie Challenge. Although I have to say the first time Shelby, Julia Roberts, got sick in Dolly Parton's hair salon I knew she was going to die within the course of the movie. Which even though it's sad that Shelby has to die and her son will never really know his mother, the story was about life, love and loss. This is the kind of 'chick flick' I can get on board with, because I'm drawn to stories of sisterhood.

Although one of the most important scenes in the movie, when Shelby and her Mom are getting their hair done for Shelby's wedding, there was a big blaring continuity problem with Olympia Dukakis curlers. Normally it wouldn't be such a big deal, but it sticks out like a sore thumb to me. Of course, that whole Script Supervising thing might be working against me here. I guess having done so many independent movies, I'm not use to having the luxury of time. If the movie had been a low budget film, we more than likely would have shot the entire scene in one day. Which would have eliminated the opportunity to put the hair curlers in the wrong way, but no one is perfect.

Final thoughts: I loved this movie, blaring continuity errors and all. It was fun and fantastic and I loved watching the women go through and experience all of these things in life.

OFFICIAL COUNT 79 DOWN 286 TO GO

Next up: An American Werewolf in Paris

No comments: