Thursday, June 17, 2010

Metropolis

Metropolis, 1927
Metropolis (Restored Authorized Edition)

Metropolis (Restored Authorized Edition)

I admit I cheated a little a read the brief synopsis for the movie before I actually watched it. Once I realized the movie was set in 2026 I was really excited to see what kind of world Fritz Lang, the director, had envisioned now that the setting is only sixteen years in the future. I'll hold my breath and anticipate sliding doors. I don't expect an actual robot; but I do expect to see skyscrapers, busy streets and no advancements in fashion. I also expect to see a lot of heavy German influence and am excited about the movies political perspective: the working class that lives underground and the upper class who lives above ground.

After having watched the  movie:
(Possible spoilers below)

I think the thing that impressed me the most about this movie was how modern by today's standards it seemed to be for 1927. I was pleasantly surprised to see busy streets, large skyscrapers with a slight art deco influence, airplanes flying through the skyline and a lack of sliding doors. I was also stunned to see some of the visual effects that were done for the time period as well. Example: when the robot was made to look just like Maria, who I've named Maria-bot, - was just incredible.

I did however think that for a silent film it was a bit longer than necessary. I mean a couple of seconds could have easily been shaved off a couple of scenes making the entire running time a bit shorter, but I also felt a little robbed at the end. It was almost as though everything had been built up for an ending that could have had a bigger impact, and then my friend Fritz suddenly realized we only had 20 seconds of screen time left. I guess the pacing throughout wasn't where I needed it to be.

There were also times throughout the movie that I struggled to stay focused on the plot. I suppose a lot of this is could have been in part due to a lot of outside distractions, but I also could have used a few more title cards here and there.

As far as the social issues between the two classes, the hands and the brains,  I was little disappointed that the only physical difference between the characters seemed to be wardrobe choices. The Art Department however was able to step up to the plate and hit one out of the park. The world where the brains lived registered clean, carefree, and pretty. They even had a fountain of with a mermaid in the Eternal Garden! While in "the depths" I was a little let down, I wanted it to be a bit more dingy. All of the machines seemed a bit too new, or like they had been built a couple of weeks ago for production. I did however love the machine Jon took over, I could play "hands of the clock" for about an hour before I got bored.

Final thoughts:  I think at this point it's hard to hold Metropolis up to modern movie and make a lot of comparisons. I don't think this is for everyone. I think to really enjoy this one you have to have a true appreciation for the art, you need to be able to appreciate the technology that was available in 1927 and how Fritz Lang was able to take advantage of that technology. Watching the movie I also had a hard time not imagining a complete, modern day, live-action remake. I understand how the thought of a remake might really upset those who hold the film close to their hearts. But in this instance, I would be more than willing to put complete trust into the right hands and would be anxious to see the final product. I would love to see how a cinematographer, a director, and the art department would use the technology we have available today to re-imagine this film.

I'm curious to know how do you feel about remaking possible classics? Or live-action remakes like Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland and Sleeping Beauty, which remains in the early stages of development?

OFFICIAL COUNT: 2 DOWN 363 TO GO

Next up: Flashdance, 1983

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"I also expect to see a lot of heavy German influence" hahaha! Totally fun, I like the way you're "reviewing" the movies, it gives it a nice personal vibe!