Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Easy Rider - A Dennis Hopper Tribute

Easy Rider, 1969
Easy Rider (35th Anniversary Deluxe Edition)

Easy Rider (35th Anniversary Deluxe Edition)

I had actually added Easy Rider to "The List" before Dennis Hopper died last month, having really only known that it was about two guys on motorcycles who go on a long road trip together. I didn't even have a firm grasp on who Dennis Hopper was. In fact, I can count on one hand the number of movies he has been in that I've seen.

When I found out that the Enzian was going to host a one-night only screening of Easy Rider as a tribute to Dennis I got excited. Mostly because I thought it would be a great first event or large group screening for the challenge. I got really excited when I found out it was on a 35mm print. And honestly, whenever given the option to watch a DVD or a 35mm print, you just go with film because why not?

After having seen the movie:
(Possible spoilers below)

I was able to make this a small night out for me and a few friends. It was actually really nice because out of our group of four, three of us were watching the movie together for the first time. It also happened to be a sold out show so this makes the first large group screening out of the 365 movies on my list. Which is really exciting for me, and kind of like a personal milestone in the challenge.

I knew going into the movie it was about a road trip two friends took together, I didn't realize how much of the story had focused around the counter culture of the late 60's. I tend to be generally like movies that focus a bit on counter cultures. I think mostly because I like the different perspective they offer. Of course the small influence from my stepmom, who is a bit of a hippie herself, might have something to do with that. I don't necessarily agree with all of the things in the movie or part of the counter cultures of the 60's. Particularly the use of marijuana and LSD which have never been my thing or even something that I'm a little interested in.

Final thoughts: I don't know that I would say Easy Rider is a classic in the same way Gone With the Wind is a classic, but I think it's something everyone who has the opportunity to see should watch. I love the idea that while on the road trip together these two friends run into such a wide variety of people: A group of hippies who want to try to live off of the land and live together in a commune, a family who struggles to live, a curious all-american boy who seeks adventure but has in one way or another been held back, and the awful rednecks from the south. I only call them awful rednecks from the south, because I absolutely hated the way the movie ended.

OFFICIAL COUNT: 8 DOWN 357 TO GO

Next up: Golden Eye

No comments: