Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Cell

The Cell, 2000
The Cell (New Line Platinum Series)

The Cell (New Line Platinum Series)

I think I actually saw this movie randomly one day in the theater when it came out having absolutely no idea what the movie was about. After seeing it, I managed to completely block it out and to this day still have no idea what this movie is about. Which is why I made an exception for this movie and included it in the 365 movies. I'm curious to watch the movie ten years later and to find out why I blocked the movie and to hopefully finally get a good handle on the plot of the movie as well. I'm also a little excited about the movie, because it has the same director who made the movie The Fall. Which, I actually loved everything about and I think everyone should watch it at least once.

After having watched the movie:
(Possible spoilers below)

Wow! I really don't know where to start with this one. No wonder I didn't understand anything about this movie when I first saw it in theaters. I successfully blocked the entire thing, and I'm actually starting to wonder if I just hadn't seen the trailer and thought I saw the movie. I can only really only imagine that the later part is true.

From a visual perspective, I absolutely see a parallel between this movie and The Fall, which was released in 2006. Visually. Both are absolutely stunning. I wish there were more movies today that utilized film and the technology that we have today to create similar looks. After having seen the The Fall I wanted to be able to travel to all of those locations and paint my own world in such vibrant colors. Technically the same could be said for The Cell, but the concept behind the story frankly scares me to death.

I would be terrified I would get stuck in someone else's subconscious with no chance to escape it, or that it would be too much for me to handle. Some parts that stand out: watching Young Carl go through all the abuse he suffered at the hands of his father. The only part I remember seeing the first time was seeing Catherine and Carl suspended while they were traveling from one person's unconscious to the other's. I don't remember any aspect of Carl's serial and psychologically motivated murders, or Peter's entire story line and arch for that matter.

The story felt rather heavy and very dark. Once Catherine started traveling into Carl's unconscious mind things got pretty scary and obscure fast. All of the eels, snakes, bugs, dirty and dingy environments isn't a place that I would willingly travel to. I'm also still kind of freaked out about what happens to the horse and the fact that we were able to still see all of the vital organs functioning.

Final thoughts: Tarsem Signh's The Cell, isn't something I think I'd watch again anytime soon. It's too heavy for me to just watch on a Tuesday afternoon, but it's definitely a good enough movie to watch a couple of times. I would just recommend planning to watch it early in the day so after watching it you can do something to take your mind away from what you just watched.
One last side note: Tarsem does have another movie, Immortal, which status is currently filming according to IMDB.

OFFICIAL COUNT: 13 DOWN 352 TO GO

Next up: The Maltese Falcon

No comments: