Monday, June 28, 2010

The Maltese Falcon

The Maltese Falcon, 1970
The Maltese Falcon (Three-Disc Special Edition)

The Maltese Falcon (Three-Disc Special Edition)

I'm really excited about watching this the same week that I watched Double Indemnity. So far I've been pretty lucky to be able to draw such great movies at random, and I'm still a little surprised that two Film Noir movies were picked in the same week. I actually don't know a single thing about this movie. The only hint I've been given is knowing that it's a Film Noir and there is absolutely no suggestions as to the plot by simply just looking at the cover art for the DVD. I typically really like the majority of the Film Noir movies I've seen and I loved Mr. Bogart in Casablanca and The Treasure of the Sierra Madre so I actually have some high expectations for this movie.

After having watched the movie:
(Possible spoilers below)

I don't know that I really have a lot to say about this movie. I thought it was a great story and the ending did have a bit of a twist to it, but I kind of expected it having known the genera. Although I didn't realized the falcon in question was going to turn out to be a fake.

After having seen this movie and Double Indemnity I think poor hair styles for women should also become a require for the genera. I couldn't stand the style Mary Astor had, and I have a hard time understanding why anyone would consider it an attractive or appropriate hairstyle for a woman. I did find this hair style to be distracting, I focused more on Ms. Astor's forehead than on the scene as a whole and at times had to back the disc up to make sure I caught all of the dialogue.


On the other hand, on of the things that I've really grown to appreciate with older movies and the respective time period was how attractively everyone dressed. I realize on the big screen actors are primed and polished to achieve a particular look; but even a house wife and auto mechanic back then seemed to dress better than people today. It just seemed as though everyone was able to find a belt.

Moving on from vanity, there were a couple of times when watching the movie that it became painfully obvious that we were on a soundstage. I think a lot of these bloopers I believe were budget related, and a result of the studio system. I blame being able to notice these things mostly on film school and my own professional experiences on set. Gradually after working in the industry you start to see the differences monopolize on those differences to create these parallel worlds in which your story takes place. For instance any scene in Spade's office you realize there is a large painted back drop on the other side of the widow, because there is no movement or life outside the windows. Regardless of which floor you may be on, there are subtle changes in lighting, or birds flying by that these scenes are missing. In another example you can clearly see the ceiling of the soundstage, when the scene is set on a dark street. But that's almost knit picking.

Final thoughts: I throughly enjoyed the movie. I loved the way it was shot and looked, again because I tend to like the look of any Film Noir movie. Mr. Bogart successfully lived up to the expectations I had set, I have yet to watch a movie he's been in that I haven't like.

OFFICIAL COUNT: 14 DOWN 351 TO GO

Next up: Bullit

No comments: