Friday, June 18, 2010

Flashdance, or what should be considered an earlier and extended version of Jennifer Lopez's music video, I'm Glad

Flashdance, 1983
Flashdance (Special Collector's Edition w/ Bonus CD)

Flashdance (Special Collector's Edition w/ Bonus CD)

I realize I'm completely judging this movie by it's cover, but I'm all fired up and ready to don a cut off sweatshirt that is two sizes too big and will hang effortlessly off of one shoulder and leg warmers. In all honesty though, I'm really excited to start the movie for just this reason - the bad fashion choices of the 80's. Which has anyone else seemed to have noticed that the 80's are becoming today what the 50's were in the late 80's and early 90's? Seriously, how many 80's nights or parties do you hear about today?

 I rest my case.

After having watched the movie:
(Possible spoilers below)

I had absolutely no idea that Jennifer Lopez's video for I'm Glad is just Flashdance. Again, this is one of those instances where I'm just completely surprised that no one had told me this or that I hadn't come to realize it myself. I never thought that she came up with all of the images and entire plot points for the video on her own, but had no idea were any of her inspiration or the source material came from.


Of course there are couple of things Jennifer managed to leave out of her music video, and really this is just the one that bothers me the most. I don't understand why Alex got so upset with Nick once she realized it was because of him (his influence, connections, and a personal favor he had called in) that she was invited to audition for the school. I mean, really Alex? You're going to get upset with the man you start dating after previously running into a few nights before at work, and I don't mean your day job - even though you see him there as well, when he wants to help you out? According to IMDB, the tagline for the movie is, "Every day, she works in a man's world. Every night, she dances through the universe that is her dream." So why wouldn't you take full advantage of this opportunity to get ahead in a man's world as a struggling female dancer?

Final thoughts: I am amazed that in the first week of Brittney's 365 Movies in 365 Days Challenge, I managed to find a movie that has been so obviously referenced in pop culture by the I'm Glad music video that until having seen the movie I would have never realized where the source of inspiration came from. I definitely enjoyed watching the movie, but I also wonder if I would have enjoyed it as much if I hadn't just finished watching a silent feature film the day before. I think this one is more like comfort food: it's something I could see myself watching on TBS in my cut off, oversized sweatshirt that hangs off of one shoulder and leg warmers.

OFFICIAL COUNT: 3 DOWN 362 TO GO

Next up: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

No comments: