Thursday, June 24, 2010

Golden Eye

Golden Eye, 1995
GoldenEye

GoldenEye

I knew when I started the challenge and the blog, that there would be some fun surprises for the people keeping up with the blog. Well, I think this is a big one.

This will be the first James Bond movie I've watched. I was still watching animated Disney movies on a loop at the time this movie came out, I was only eight years old. Also, I've only known Pierce Brosnan as James Bond. It pretty much blew my mind when I found out there were more actors who have played this role on Jeopardy. I would have really like to have seen them in the order they were made. I think it would have been interesting to see the progression of the movies; however this was the only James Bond movie that was even suggested for me to put on my list. For those die hard 007 fans, I do plan on knocking out a James Bond marathon - some day and seeing more of the movies.

After having watched the movie:
(Possible spoilers below)

This is kind of like The Royal Tenenbaums, I got exactly what I wanted from this movie. Of course I expected a lot of action, explosions, and a bond girl. Having not seen any other James Bond movies, I don't really have a lot to say about this one. I think if anything it's just left me even more confused about what the hype is all about. Maybe I wanted it to be more than it was? It just felt pretty standard for an action movie: explosions, an amazing female lead and a good fearless hero who can pull off superman stunts and is both ridiculously charming and good looking.

Final thoughts: I don't know if I expected more from this movie, because it was a Bond movie. It seems the series usually draws a lot of hype but this was kind of vanilla for me. I think I wanted it to have a little more pizzazz because it's was a Bond movie.

OFFICIAL COUNT: 9 DOWN 356 TO GO

Next up: Double Indemnity

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You should definitely include the two newest ones and Dr. No and Goldfinger in your marathon, they're my favorites and despite what Will says, they're better than goldeneye!

Dana said...

Take into account that when this came out in the 90's it WAS doing new things and innovating.

After years and years of new crazy CGI action, this movie would seem vanilla to new eyes.

Still my favorite Bond movie. The Connery movies are too slow for me, The Roger Moore movies are too silly, The Timothy Dalton movies too convoluted.

Brittney's 365 Movies in 365 Days Challenge said...

I did take into account it was from the 90's and it did have some new and innovating things. I liked the movie, but it didn't live up to my expectations. It's actually very likely that there are going to several movies on my list that I think don't live up to the hype. It's not a bad movie, I just wanted more from my it as my first introduction to any of the James Bond movies.

But like I said, I want to see more of the James Bond movies. Maybe if I had more time to watch them in the order I would have liked to this would have meant more to me? Although I still have my reservations about really liking the movie even after that.

One last final thought: The way I felt about Golden Eye = The same way I feel about zombie movies. And I understand plenty of people love zombie movies, but they're just not for me. I'm not really interested in them.