Sunday, July 25, 2010

Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Star Trek: The Motion Picture, 1979
Star Trek - The Motion Picture: The Director's Cut (Two-Disc Special Collector's Edition)

Star Trek - The Motion Picture: The Director's Cut (Two-Disc Special Collector's Edition)


So this is where it all started, right? Or was the TV show was first? 


I'm not sure, but either way I've decided to start this adventure now with Star Trek mostly because I kind of just want to be able to power through the movies. I don't really think I'm going to like this even a little bit just because I feel like it's going to be incredibly dated. I also think it's going to be kind of awful in the way that the majority of sci-fi channel movies are really bad. Although I'll  be completely honest and say that I felt the same way before I watched the first three Star Wars movies, but I ended up liking those enough. So, who knows maybe I'll surprise myself with this one too.
I have however seen the newest Star Trek movie, which was released in 2009.


So, here's the game plan: I've put together a five-week plan, starting today, in order to knock the Star Trek series out of the way. Each week I am going to watch one of the four Star Trek movies and in the fifth week I will conclude the mini five-week Star Trek challenge with the documentary Trekies.
After having watched the movie:
(Possible spoilers below)
Alright, I was wrong. The movie isn't incredibly awful in the same way that so many Sci-Fi Channel movies are bad. Again, Sci-Fi isn't really my thing but I really liked this movie.

The hardest part about watching the movie was having to break it up into two parts in order to finish the movie. When I tried watching the movie last night I continually caught myself having to back the DVD up because I kept falling asleep, so in this instance I think it was necessary to pick it up again first thing in the morning. Although, I think I would have really enjoyed the movie a lot more if I had been able to watch it in one sitting. I kept getting antsy when I watched the movie again this morning. Which seems kind of strange because I it was during the climax of the story.

Overall though I really liked the movie. I was surprised to find that the movie wasn't as dated as I had anticipated the movie being. I had expected poor effects by the standards we have today as well as sub-par writing and elements included in the story. I think a lot of these low expectations for the movie came from the negative things I've always heard associated with the movies and TV series. I don't think I have ever had a friend or really known anyone who would identify themselves as a Trekie.

Final thoughts: I wonder how my feelings about this movie would have differed if at all had I not seen the newest Star Trek movie first. I mean, I liked this movie enough on it’s own but I felt like having a better idea of who Spock and Kirk were made the movie easier for me to watch. I don't know that I
would consider myself a Trekie, but I'm looking forward to watching the second movie now.
OFFICIAL COUNT 40 DOWN 325 TO GO


Next up: The Day the Earth Stood Still

5 comments:

Dana said...

The version you watched may have had updated special effects...

Brittney's 365 Movies in 365 Days Challenge said...

I'm not sure that it did though. The movie did have updated special effects for the time though, remember it released in just three years prior to Tron. So as far as effects are concerned - the filmmakers had a pretty good handle on it. The movie, specifically the Special Effects, was even nominated for an Academy Award.

However the level or degree of special effects actually surprised me, because I had anticipated them to be on the same level as the TV series - which first aired more than ten years before the movie was made in 1966.

Joe Foster said...

There is really no comparing the special effects between the Original tv series and ST-TMP. It still holds up fairly well visually... I am defintely a trekkie and am glad you liked it. I would have advised against watching this one and starting with ST II. In fact, if at all possible, you should watch II,III and IV in a row.

It was one of the least liked films by Star Trek fans. Most thought it was too slow and too long and copied some plot elements directly from the tv series. ALthough it made $, it was very expensive to make and was the last time Gene Rodenberry (series creator) would be allowed to work on a feature film.

Star Trek II is my favorite. Before you watch II try to watch the "Space Seed" episode from the orgiignial series. Not a requirement, but it will fill in any holes.

Brittney's 365 Movies in 365 Days Challenge said...

I agree Joe that the special effects still hold up pretty well. I also thought a there were a lot of scenes that could have been shaved down a bit more. I'll even have to do a little more digging about Gene Rodenberry, because that's really interesting to me.

It's really nice to have a fans perspective on the movie. I've tried posting on different forums to get more perspectives from fans, but no one seems to want to share their ideas with me.

Ideally I would have liked to have been able to watch the first four movies back to back, but it's not possible to do with the Netflix plan I have. Instead, I've just decided to watch one Star Trek movie each week and then end the marathon with the Documentary Trekkies.

And thank you for the heads up about the "Space Seed" episode!

Joe Foster said...

I think Rodenberry was a true visionary when it came to this show and he stayed on as a producer for most of the films but that was pretty much a title only. Harve Bennett & Nicholas Meyer were brought in by Paramount as outsiders to do ST II which actually made a little less money but cost about 1/5 of Star Trek I. I think they did a great job of production and storytelling but I think the extended versions (which I do not own) are actually better for ST II & III.

The tv series started in 1966 and the pilot was turned down but NBC asked for a 2nd pilotto be shot with more "Western" type action. That pilot was sold. It was cancelled and brought back by amassive fan campaign and lasted for 3 seasons.

Initially, a 2nd tv series was planned and starting to go into production when Paramount decided to capitalize on the sci-fi success of Star Wars and turn it into a movie with ST I.

Leonard Nimoy (Spock) initially did not want to play Spock anymore and was the last actor to sign on for ST II. If you do watch "Space Seed" sometime, there is a film flub when they discover Khan in stasis. Dr. McCoy's phaser (which was attached with velcro) fell off unexpectedly. You can see the actor glancing down at it while the scene goes on...