Wednesday, July 7, 2010

I was completely blindsided by The Blind Side

The Blind Side, 2009
The Blind Side

The Blind Side

I was completely blindsided by Sandra Bullock, and her role in this movie. I remember having a conversation with my Grams when this movie was first released in theaters about who the better actress was: Sandra Bullock or Meryl Streep. Despite the fact that this movie stars Sandra Bullock, Meryl Streep can do no wrong in my book. The argument I made against Sandra Bullocks' acting career was that even though comedy can at times be more difficult, she has never really had the kind of roles Meryl Streep has had. Sandra Bullock, to me, seems to typically be casted in Romantic-Comedies, Comedies, and Thillers that do okay but are never phenominal the way Meryl Streep has.

And then BAM! out of no where comes Sandra Bullock in this amazing new movie that everyone is talking about. I'm excited to see it. I can't wait to see Sandra Bullock in a more serious role. I of course already know the story line, but I'm excited to see it all play out.

After having watched the movie:
(Possible spoilers below)

There are certain movies that come along like Avatar that kind of raise the bar, and then there are those that find their way into our hearts. This was exactly the kind of "feel-good" movie I had hoped and expected it to be. It is rather predictable, but if you're able to make your peace with it sooner rather than later you'll want a "Big Mike" of your own by the time the movie ends.

I won't go as far as to say that Sandra Bullock didn't deserve her Oscar win, but I wouldn't say the role really pushed Sandra Bullock as far as acting is concerned. It did however allow us to see her in a different light which was refreshing. For me though, the win did feel a little like an over-all career win rather than a win based solely on her performance in this movie.

Final thoughts: Although I still prefer Meryl Streep to Sandra Bullock, it was nice to see her (Sandra Bullock) in a different role. Not to mention the fact that I think she played the part beautifully. I should also note that I don't regret the fact that I ended up buying this movie in order to watch it in time. It will be one of the movies that I will watch again and again. Mostly because it's a "feel good" movie that makes me feel like the world isn't always a cold, dark place.

OFFICIAL COUNT 22 DOWN 343 TO GO

Next up: Shawshank Redemption

No comments: