Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Food Inc

Food Inc., 2008
Food, Inc.

Food, Inc.

This was one of the documentaries that I had in my Netflix queue prior to starting the 365 Movie Challenge and my blog, Yeah, I haven't seen that movie either. When I realized there weren't going to be many documentaries on the list, because I mean how many people generally watch documentaries? Unless it's some less than great, politically bias documentary by Michael Moore. I've seen some of his documentaries, and they're entertaining, but I think a lot of the street credit Moore has earned is because he continuously picks hot topic issues to "document." Sorry, but you instantly loose a bit of credibility when you star in your own documentary.

Michael Moore rant aside, I decided early on to add this to the list, because I wanted the 365 Movie Challenge to have a bit of a variety to it. I'm actually really excited about this documentary since it was one of the movies I've had in my queue for a while now. I already have a general idea about this documentary. I'm sure that like Beer Wars, Food Inc. is going to be a bit biased against major corporations, but I'm interested in watching it and find out what it's about.

After having watched the movie:
(Possible spoilers below)

Food Inc. was certainly more informative than I had every really imagined it would have been. The filmmakers do an amazing job focusing on multiple areas of concern within the food industry in America and there are many.

In 1906 Upton Sinclair wrote The Jungle, which brought to the forefront all of the problems within the meat packing industry: the harsh working conditions, exploitation of women and children, and unsanitary working conditions. Upon the release of the book and within dew time the Food and Drug Administration as well as the Meat Inspection Act would come to be. Taking into consideration, all of the genetically engineered food, pesticides, and new technology that is available today reforming a few things might not be such a bad idea for the American food industry.

The filmmakers are great to break up so many of the problems today with the food industry, as far as trying to find a way to make better quality foods available to everyone. Today it's true that a lot of families feel almost forced into buying fast food and dollar menu items, because economically it makes more sense. Not only was it evident in this documentary but Jamie Oliver proved this to also be the case during the brief run of his show, Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution in the West Virginia school lunch program. This of course doesn't even truly begin to hit on the the problems with the beef, chicken, and pork meat packing industries.

Final thoughts: Sure, Food Inc. clearly leaves a big impact on anyone who watches the movie. It has certainly made me think more about the kinds of food that I eat, and where the food came from; although the harshest reality is that I still don't feel empowered as a consumer. This is a powerful documentary, it does push for a change in the food industry, but at the end of the day I think too many people today feel defeated and are financially unable to fight the battle for reform. Although reform isn't out of reach, we were able to do it once with tobacco. Perhaps it's really only a matter of time.

OFFICIAL COUNT 35 DOWN 330 TO GO

Next up: Alien

No comments: