Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Stripes

Stripes, 1981
Stripes (Unrated Extended Cut)

Stripes (Unrated Extended Cut)

I was a little tempted to cheat and go watch this on Memorial Day at the Enzian this year before the 365 Movie Challenge officially started, but decided against it. The reason is because I really want to stay true to being able to watch all 365 movies from June 15, 2010 - June 15, 2011. Sure I could have seen the movie and started the write up earlier than I announced, but I would have felt as though I cheated had I started the challenge early. I want this to be an honest challenge for myself, and if I were to cheat I realize I would only be cheating myself out of feeling like I truly accomplished something at the end of the year.

I'm really excited that this movie is finally up on the list. I love Bill Murray and I'm completely comfortable with any dated references from the 1980's or late 1970's that this movie might have.

After having watched the movie:
(Possible spoilers below)

I love this movie and I ended up watching it twice. The first time I watched the theatrical version of the movie and the second time I watched the extended version of the movie, which I now prefer. The first time I watched the theatrical version I felt like there were a couple of missing pieces. The extended version felt more complete and actually has one of my favorite scenes when Bill Murray and Harold Ramis try to leave basic early by posing as officers on a plane with a group of Green Berets.

We've all heard a lot of stories from G.I.'s who have gone through basic training about all the horrible types of physical activity and all of the push ups required, but I loved the attitude Billy Murray's character kept throughout basic and his attempts to escape at night. John Candy also stuck out in his role to me. I loved the idea that someone like him would have joined the Army and continued to convince the other men in his platoon to make his bed because that was policy when you're in Italy.

It really surprised me though to learn after reading about it online that the movie was originally intended to be another Cheech and Chong movie in which the duo decide to join the Army. I've never really been into stoner comedy, so I'm incredibly thankful that the movie was rewritten and modified for Bill Murray. Knowing Bill Murray's from Saturday Night Live and some of the other roles it didn't really surprise me to learn that a lot of the lines in the movie were improved. While I will typically agree that some of the things an actor can come up with on the fly and while they're in the moment are better than what a writer can come up with, but it makes me cringe a little as a Script Supervisor.

I just wanted to point this out because I think it's a fun little bit that kind of dates the movie. It's suspected in the movie that Bill Murray and Harold Ramis take the EM 50 Urban Assault Vehicle to East Berlin. The movie was made in 1981 when Germany was still divided into two parts: Eastern and Western Germany. It would be another eight years before the Berlin Wall, which was built to physically divide the country would come down.

Final thoughts: I love this movie and I couldn't imagine what it would have been if it had been another Cheech and Chong movie. Insert eye roll here, because I just don't think it would have been as good of a movie if it had been full of stoner comedy. I think it just worked out better in the end that the movie was shaped into a story about a Platoon made up of guys who are just aren't able to really make the grade.

OFFICIAL COUNT 42 DOWN 323 TO GO

Next up: The Bicycle Thief

No comments: