Thursday, July 1, 2010

"These go to eleven."

fThis is Spinal Tap, 1984
This is Spinal Tap (Special Edition)

This is Spinal Tap (Special Edition)

This is another movie that I haven't even heard of. It was recommended to me by a friend, who never really said anything to me about the movie. So, I'm going to give it a shot to see what this one is all about.

After having watched the movie:
(Possible spoilers below)

OMG a Mockumentary! Where do I sign up?

If you weren't sure what you were in for, the commentary on the menu screen of the DVD clears everything up for you in a matter of seconds. This movie is absolutely hysterical, from the DVD menu until the end credits. This is Spinal Tap is focused around English band members who are totally self-absorbed and completely unaware of their fall from Rock Star status as they begin to tour in America. Honestly, I feel like the members of the band who make up Spinal Tap today just are Russell Brand's Aldous Snow.

Here's the thing I've realized about Comedies: The funnier they tend to be the more people are excited to share their experience with you. Your friends will even go on to say, "Oh and this one last thing..." then proceed to promise not to give too much away. But as soon as they make the promise, you should know it's as good as broken. This was exactly the case for Forgetting Sara Marshall for me. I managed to get deathly sick, thank you - food poisoning, and didn't make it to the theater with all of my friends on opening night. But in a "good" way that was alright, as all of my friends were more than willing to re-live and re-enact all of the funny parts of the movie immediately after seeing the movie. By the time I saw the movie, I had already heard all of the jokes and it took away from the experience.

It's actually really hard to not to share all of my favorite moments from the movie with everyone, because I don't want to take away from the movie. I do want to share one of my favorite clips from the movie though. I don't think it gives away too much, and I think it's a fair representation of what This is Spinal Tap is like as a whole.




Final thoughts: I think anyone who likes The Office needs to see This is Spinal Tap. Another show that I would strongly recommend for those who like this particular type of humor is Summer Heights High. As far as I know HBO only picked up the Australian show for one season, and it wasn't well advertised. I actually stumbled upon by accident early one Saturday morning.

OFFICIAL COUNT 16 DOWN 349 TO GO

Next up: Rec.

No comments: