Saturday, October 2, 2010

National Geographic the Photographers

National Geographic: The Photographers, 1998
National Geographic's The Photographers

National Geographic's The Photographers

We all remember this imagine, it's striking and worth more than just a thousand words. When I found out there was a documentary about all the photographs I knew it was one I wanted to watch.

After having watched the movie:
(Possible spoilers below)

Unfortunately I didn't realize until watching this movie that the running time is less than that of a feature film and therefore it no longer counts as one of the 365 Movies in the 365 Movie Challenge. I decided to still write about the movie though, because I loved hearing some of the stories behind a lot of the photographs. It never occurred to me that the photographers would end up traveling for months at a time, and at times in less than ideal environments. One photographer was shooting in the jungle and got worms, was covered in bugs and had to walk through knee deep mud just to photograph a couple of monkeys in the trees.

Final thoughts: I was disappointed this movie won't be able to count, but it's one that I think anyone who is interested in photography should check out. At the very least, it's a pretty documentary.

Now I need suggestions for a movie to watch in place of this movie to be part of the 365 Movie Challenge. Any ideas?

Next up: Hotel Rwanda

No comments: