Friday, October 1, 2010

Beetlejuice, 1988

Beetlejuice, 1988
Beetlejuice (20th Anniversary Deluxe Edition)

Beetlejuice (20th Anniversary Deluxe Edition)

It's a little ridiculous but the only Beetlejuice that I've known was the cartoon show that use to be on Nickelodeon that I would watch growing up. Which is why I added the movie to the list, I wanted to finally be able to see the movie, because I can still remember the movie being a big deal even into the 1990s. This though, is the Beetlejuice I am familiar with:




After having watched the movie:
(Possible spoilers below)
It was a little different seeing Michael Keaton play the over-the-top title character in a different light than the character was portrayed as on the cartoon show. In the cartoon show Beetlejuice and Lydia were friends and would get into these big adventures together, but in the movie Beetlejuice is kind of a jerk.
Beetlejuice isn't exactly one of 'The Greatest Movie Ever Made,' but it's certainly a good movie and a lot of fun for what it is. It's a feel good comedy from the 1980s. It's a movie that when you watch it repeatedly it still takes you back to a time when you first watched the movie. And although so many of the movies I consider to be feel good movies are Animated Disney movies like Aladdin or Cinderella that I've seen hundreds of times, they make me feel closer to home. I think the components that make up a feel good movie are going to be different for everyone, but I think the root to all feel good movies has to start with some kind of emotional connection made with the movie.
Final thoughts: Even though the strongest emotional connection I have with this movie, will have been watching the movie with The Boyfriend on a lazy Sunday, I think that it's going to be one that sticks out among the other 365 movies. I mean, it was a movie The Boyfriend picked out to watch at random while  I was keeping him company when he was cat and house sitting for his parents. But it became more about me being able to watch another movie for the first time with him.
OFFICIAL COUNT 102 DOWN 263 TO GO


Next up: Laura

No comments: