Sunday, October 3, 2010

Hotel Rwanda

Hotel Rwanda, 2004
Hotel Rwanda

Hotel Rwanda

After having watched the movie:
(Possible spoilers below)

I'm going a little off of my typical format, because after watching the movies there aren't really words that can express what my thoughts were before the movie. Like a lot of the movies in the 365 Movie Challenge, I hadn't really seen or heard anything about this movie. The only comments I got from people when I told them I would be watching this movie was, "Oh. Good luck" or "Yeah, that's a pretty serious movie." I realize now, after watching the movie, that they were right.

I think there are times in life when we realize we're really onto something and there's a chance it might be great. Those are the projects and stories that once we start writing them, the stories and characters become so real and powerful that they begin to tell you their story. Sometimes I think maybe we stumble upon the ideas in the same way I kind of stumbled onto the 365 Movie Challenge, or maybe it's something we have always aspired to do. After watching this movie and reading more about Paul Rusesabagina, I have no doubt that this was one of those stories.

Watching the movie there were moments when I thought about how lucky I have been that I have not had to experience some of these horrible things first hand. The greatest part of the movie though, I think the most powerful part of the movie, is the commentary which features Keir Pearson and Paul Rusesabagina. Keir is mindful enough to use the commentary as a platform for Paul to shed more light on the genocide that occurred in Rwanda in 1994. I also found online a wonderful article from National Geographic which I think also explains what was going on during the genocide.

Final thoughts: It's a shame that these kind of genocides are going on around the world and people have turned away from helping and rescuing some of the victims. I would love to see that more could be done, but I don't know how to go about solving these kind of problems. I was in middle school during the genocide that occurred in Rwanda, and in high school when problems started arising in Sudan. There continues to be little media coverage about these world events, but there we receive numerous accounts and stories that come out of the Middle East.

For those who are interested in learning more about the genocide in Sudan, Darfur, there is information as well as a way to donate to the cause at Save Darfur.

OFFICIAL COUNT 107 DOWN 258 TO GO

Next up: The Hurt Locker

No comments: