Friday, October 29, 2010

National Geographic: Inside the U.S. Secret Service

National Geographic: Inside the U.S. Secret Service, 2004
Inside the US Secret Service













I don't really expect to get a lot of answers, but I'm hoping this documentary does what it promises and provides us with a closer look at the agency that investigates counter fit and protects the lives of the United States Presidents and their family.

After having watched the movie:
(Possible spoilers below)

I was a little surprised that the documentary would be centered around a single event in President George W. Bush's life, as he speaks at an LSU Graduation Ceremony during his term as President. Were given a guided inside look into all the preparation that goes into any appearance made by the President. Which I wasn't really too surprised to find out was very extensive. The documentary also discusses some of the more tragic moments in our history: presidential assassinations, presidential assassination attempts, and even the attempts made on Presidential Candidates.

If you've ever had the opportunity to attend a debate or any public speaking event by either a Presidential Candidate or the President you've probably noticed first hand some of the measures which the Secret Service take. I remember when I was in high school and President George W. Bush came to a neighboring town and spoke at a tank plant. It was kind of a pain, because there were roads that had been blocked off, people were restricted to certain areas, and the scariest part were all the snipers who were stationed on various rooftops. It was kind of scary to see, because for the first time I realized how authentic and possible all of the threats on the President's life are.

Also during the same time frame the documentary was made, one of my distant cousins was working as Secret Service Detail for Presidential Candidate John Kerry. It wasn't until two or three years after the fact that I realized this though. But the point is that it makes what he did the much more interesting to me now.

Final thoughts: I think this documentary is kind of a cheap thrill, but I completely took the bait. Anytime we're offered the chance to look behind doors that typically kept sealed shut we jump at the chance. Of course there were still things in the documentary that were kept private, a little odd maybe but I'd love to know which President has received the most threats on his life. Don't judge me, you're a little interested in knowing too you just never said it out loud.

OFFICIAL COUNT 109 DOWN 256 TO GO

Next up: American Graffiti

No comments: