Friday, January 7, 2011

The Truman Show

The Truman Show, 1998
The Truman Show (Special Collector's Edition)

The Truman Show (Special Collector's Edition)

I remember being in the theater and watching the part of the movie when Jim Carrey struggles to with a sail boat, climbs stairs in the sky, and some how the movie was him realizing he was the unknowing star of a TV series. It's weird to me that I can remember fractions of the movie, almost as if it were a dream. Anyways, now I have the time and opportunity to watch the movie from start to end and maybe I'll be able to remember it more cohesively afterwards.

After having watched the movie:
(Possible spoilers below)

The most exciting part of the movie for me was that it was made in 1998 just before the reality TV genera caught on, and finally really watching the movie in 2010 at a time when the genera typically dominated prime time TV time spots. I guess it was similar reading about the people who thought by 2000 or 1999 that we would be traveling around in flying cars like we've seen on The Jetsons.

After watching the movie I went ahead and watched some of the extra features on the DVD and learned that the town where Truman lived is actually a small community in the pan handle of Florida. So naturally planning a road trip to Seaside, Florida and taking The Truman Show Tour is in the works.

Final thoughts: I think when I saw the movie in theaters, I thought I was getting something like Ace Ventura or The Mask which is why I didn't really understand the movie. Besides, unless my Mom or Dad really sat me down and explained these things to me, I didn't understand the adult humor. Even something like National Lampoons Christmas Vacation would have had a lot of things that I wouldn't have really understood. It's definitely one of my favorite movies that Jim Carrey has worked on; however that whole not mentioning other lines from 'silly' movies wouldn't really have sat well with me.

PROGRESS BEING MADE: 136 DOWN 229 TO GO

Next up: Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

No comments: