Friday, January 7, 2011

Paranormal Activity

Paranormal Activity, 2007
Paranormal Activity

Paranormal Activity

I realized after I received the DVD in the mail through Netflix, that I've already seen Rope, and selected Paranormal Activity as the substituted movie because of all the press and buzz that had surrounded it when it first came out. After all, I'm a big fan of any kind of ghost story so it seemed like a perfect fit already. Then when I factored in all the first hand accounts, about how scared some people were after having seen the movie, I knew I had to watch it was part of the 365 Movie Challenge.

Small disclaimer: though I had heard tales about how scared some people were when they first watched the movie, I had never seen anything beyond what was already shown on TV in the advertising campaign for the movie. Which you'll find below.



After having watched the movie:
(Possible spoilers below)

I have to admit, after hearing all the hype about this movie and finally watching it, I was a little let down. I didn't think the movie was as scary as people had made it out to be. Sure there were definite moments of odd and scary things that happened, for example the ouija board scene kind of terrifying. While I'm not sure how much I buy into ghosts and spirits, I believe enough to know not to go looking for answers to the kind of things I can't handle. The use of an ouija board is a door that I don't dare to open, and I very strongly urge caution to those who chose to use one.

Alright, so now that the general over-view is done and everyone else has probably seen the movie lets kind of break it down from a filmmakers perspective. A movie like this and The Blairwitch Project are absolutely brilliant, because there is nearly no cost to make the movie and they go one to make an obscene amount of money. Characters are constantly breaking the fourth wall and looking right into the lens of a camera, which is out of the norm, and when they're filming themselves, we suddenly feel like we've all been friends since first grade. These projects can be made with a skeleton crew and typically take place in one or two locations, which can drastically cut the cost of production. Of course there is still money that goes into music and post production, and you really shouldn't skim over post production because it can really make or break a movie, but once you have it all in the can you pass it around festivals, relax, and pat yourself on the back.

Final thoughts: I really liked the movie, though I didn't think it was as scary as some people have. Having said that though, I am anxious to see the second movie. Even though I doubt it would be on par with the first.

PROGRESS BEING MADE 135 DOWN 230 TO GO

Next up: The Truman Show

No comments: